my favourite Etsians - Q&A with Littlebighead

If you have been reading this blog for a while you might have noticed today's favourite Etsian's illustrations before - I love them so much, I've used them to illustrate all sorts of posts!



Just in case you don't immediately recognise her beautiful style, I had better introduce the fabulous Andrea Gutierrez of Littlebighead.

Let's start, shall we? How long have you been creating, and how did you get into it? Do you have formal training or did you teach yourself? 

I've been drawing and crafting little things here and there since I have been a child. For years I had the encouragement of friends to actually do something more with it than just keep it all to myself. I did take art classes in both high school and jr. college but mostly I am self-taught (with my father being my first teacher and critic). After I had my first child (I'm expecting my second next spring), we decided for me to stay home so that I could be with her. After awhile of being home and newly inspired by our family's addition, I started to think maybe I could do this. Littlebighead was started (a tribute to our full head of hair daughter with her little toddler head) and the ball got rolling.



That's such a lovely story - and congratulations! Other than the wonderful encouragement from friends and family, where do you get your inspiration?

Inspiration comes from everywhere, really. Simple things can catch the eye and become something great. Mostly I am inspired by childlike imagination and the beautiful world so aptly created for our enjoyment. Fauna, flora, the night sky, all those things that speak of the Creator's wonders. Folktales and stories too because imagination can truly be endless and almost everything has a story to tell in some way or other.


On the off chance that you ever have any free time - what else do you like to do other than creating?

I enjoying reading, spending time with close friends with tea and treats, being with my family, watching as we all grow together in love and grace.



You mentioned that nature plays a big role in inspiring your work, so this question will be interesting - if you were an animal, what kind of animal would you be?

Oh dear, that's a tough one! I think most people would naturally think I would pick an owl since I am not so subtle about my affection towards them. Sometimes I think it would be easier to be a blackbird because no one really would bother me (I wouldn't be hunted, tracked down or anything like that) and I would be free to roam the skies.



That's such a romantic idea!

Obviously your family play a huge part in your life - other than your husband, daughter and baby bump, what 3 things could you not live without?

1. Faith and belief in God
2. Loved ones (close friends and family)
3. Tea and lip balm (okay, I cheated)!




Ooh, sneaky answer! How about this one - if you could only eat one thing for the rest of time, what would it be?

That's an especially tricky question to ask a pregnant woman! Ha ha! Well, for today, let's just say tiramisu! You can't go wrong with that ;)

That is very true! And finally, would you like to share an interesting fact about yourself with Matin Lapin readers?

I'm afraid of actual silhouettes of people (someone standing beyond a curtained window) but I love silhouette art :)



Thank you so much for your time, Andrea! It was a pleasure :)

Andrea's wonderful illustrations and cards are available in her etsy shop, you can read more about her on her blog, see her favourite things on pinterest and read her musings here on twitter.

0 hellos:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...