a very brief history of haircuts

For a few years from about the age of 5, every time I went to have my hair cut I would ask the hairdresser to save my curls. These were dutifully kept and, back at home, carefully placed in an envelope and sent to my bald Grandfather who I figured might appreciate them. In fact, I'm not really sure what I was thinking, but considering I was only 5 I'm going to just assume I was being ludicrously cute.

By the time I was 11 years old I had a long, thick mane of hair, which reached half way down my back. In an act of stupidity/rebellion/pre-teenage angst I had my beautiful hair cut right back, until I looked a bit like Duncan of PJ and Duncan...


It wasn't a good look on Duncan, and even less so on a slightly chubby pre-teenage girl.

Unbeknownst to most, one of my superhero powers is super-speedy hair-growth and since it normally took no time at all to grow, it would have only taken about 3 or 4 years to get it back to the same length again. But the foolish/lazy part of me decided to keep it short for nearly 2 years. I was a huge tomboy for the next few years, and it wasn't until I was about 14 that it started to look anything like "proper girl-length".

Since that one Big Cut I've never done anything drastic with my hair. At university it was tropical green for a year or so, but length-wise it's not changed too much at all. It is currently the longest it has ever been, and I'm getting a bit fed up of it again. I'm planning on having it cut next week, but I'm wondering how short to go... should I be cautious and sensible, or slightly more reckless considering the speed at which it'll grow back if it's a disaster?

One idea I was toying with was having a fringe cut in... but Kaz has told me I'm not to go crying to her when it ends up looking ridiculous* so perhaps I'll give it a miss, and just dream about it instead...

{one} {two} {three}

*unfortunately she's right - it probably would look ridiculous with my round face and chubby cheeks, grr.

Do you have any haircut regrets?

5 hellos:

Unknown said...

I have lots of haircut and colour regret. I'll take you for tea and tell you all about it (or talk of more interesting things.

And if you want a fringe why not try a winge? It's a wig that is just a fringe that you clip in?

http://www.hershesons.com/details_page/71-The-Rock-Chick-Clip-In-Winge-6-Brown-Gold

Vixie said...

That sounds like it should be kept for a girly sleepover sometime :)

Hmmm. I could do... but I think they're super weird!

Claire said...

I am so feeling the pulling of the fringe at the moment too...

And believe or not, I also rocked the Duncan for a couple of years. I looked AWFUL.

Cxx

Rachel J said...

I should definitely start sending my hair trimmings to my bald relatives (and especially my not nearly bald older brothers) that is so brilliant.

As for hair mistakes--I have plenty, especially that one time I went to the super-cheap hair salon and a drunk girl who was raging about her husband cut an upside down L in my long hair and called it "feathering."

Vixie said...

I'm sure your relatives would appreciate it, Rachel!

I'm dreading it a bit, I haven't found a hairdresser I've liked since I was about 23, so fingers crossed this one will be OK - appointment is booked in for tomorrow!

Fringe Fringe Fringe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...